Tuesday 4 March 2014

Q5. How did you attract/address your audience?

The main way in which I attracted my target audience was by the cover image and content featured inside the magazine. The main attention-grabbing feature is the mid shot image I used on the front cover which appeals to the audience and intrigues the audience to purchase my magazine. The colour scheme, of which follows my popular house style of red, white, black and purple attracts the audience as it's big, bright and bold which stands out and makes the magazine look attractive for the buyer. It's a very popular house style within rock music magazines such as: NME and The Rolling Stones. It also is suitable for both genders.

I decided to create a small competition with my magazine, by including quotes of song lyrics from the indie/rock genre, on the top of each double page. To enter the competition you have to tweet my magazines Twitter account, with the name of the song and the artist/band. The winner will then receive a free ticket to Reading Festival. I think this works very well with my magazine; my target audience enjoy going to festivals. From seeing this competition they would be more interested in my magazine. The front cover features the model giving direct eye contact whilst looking bare face but having a striking unique hair colour - this makes the model appeal to both genders as she can be seen as an idol to women and attractive and just a good performer to males therefore engaging both of the sexes to purchase the magazine to find out more about her as she lures them in.

When you first look inside my magazine, the reader will be automatically glued to all of the hot topics I have chosen to include in the contents page and they won't know where to look first. The list along the left hand side of the contents page is 'The band index' with a list of all of the artists in the Indie/rock genre, some that are well known and also some that would be up and coming artists. However my target audience are very open at exploring unheard of artists and like being unique and different listening to new artists and not following the crowds.

My article is very long and interesting. It's  packed with exciting stories and news which keeps the reader interested. However towards the end some of my article uses taboo language and turns quite aggressive. This is appropriate for my target audience; the Indie/rock genre tend to have this in their magazine articles. My article is aimed at both genders and late teens/young adults. This has been made clear because of the choice of topic is appropriate for both genders and the, text is acceptable for the age range.
My article goes over 2 and a half double page spreads, that all have full bleed images. These images inside creates an personal relationships between the magazine and the buyer. By having a interview of Charlotte Young's gig inside GRANITE, allows the reader to find out everyone's opinion on Young and not just GRANITE. It also gives the readers something to laugh at and some factual information.

For the appearance of my magazine, I decided to make my GRANITE have a very unique, professional, grungy and edgy look. The house-style of my magazine is red, white, purple and black - colours which connote power, royalty, love and passion - all of which I believe my magazine has. Red is also a very gender neutral colour and highlights the beauty and loyalty of the magazine. Red appeals greatly to the audience therefore making it look professional and attractive to the buyer. This gives the magazine a style that people will remember and look for in the future, especially on shelves as it is very eye-catching. I decided to add some purple into my magazine so that it was a little more unique then all of the other Indie/rock magazine out there today.

I mainly have attracted my audience into my magazine by advertising well known bands and artists as sell-lines on the front cover. This will make my reader want to pick up my magazine and want to have a look inside.

 By using all of my own images, It really gave the magazine a real and genuine look. Using photographs I took myself at Reading Festival this year. These images immediately inform the reader of the sort of concerts which will be discussed, whilst also indicating that the magazine interacts with the audience and credits the gig-goers by using their images - a lot of people are interested in being featured on GRANITE'S instagram account for their own personal taken images therefore using this feature has created a unique selling point for my magazine which attracts my audience.

In earlier blog posts, I mentioned using new media to attract my specific target audience as through research I discovered that my target audience are thoroughly engaged with spending the majoirty of their time online on social networking websites such as Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr. I have taken to these social networking websites by creating accounts with them to promote the magazine further. This enables the audience to stay involved constantly with the magazine and increase personal relationships with GRANITE and help them to gain more information. I have advertised GRANITE'S website on each double page spread in my magazine and also included their Instagram, Twitter, Youtube and Facebook account.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment